Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why are we tipping?

In my country tipping is voluntary. Not expected, but appreciated. Those in the hospitality industry are protected by award wages, such that a waitress would expect to be paid in the vicinity of $15-20 / hour. I appreciate that in countries such as the United States, employees are not as well protected and tips are a vital source of income.

As a customer, it's a great system. My steak is $20, I pay $20. No more, no less. Travellers often gawk at the price of eating out here, but they forget that there is no service charge on top.

Back in my student days I waitressed at a beachside restaurant. I was paid $12 / hour. The pay was enough to fill my petrol tank, however there was always the sweetener of tips from unsuspecting tourists. Summer time was prime tip time. American and German tourists would flock to the beach and on balmy nights they would tip in force. It always felt like strange getting this money - but it was great.

Another job I had wasn't so ethical. They kept a jar at the counter, and to my disgust the owners used to keep the tips for themselves!! I used to quietly whisper to people "no need to tip" with a kind smile as they paid their bill.

Our foreign visitors seem to have left their mark though. Tipping is becoming mainstream. They now even print the credit card receipt with a space TIP $_____. I think its a bit cheeky, so I always cross it out and just sign my name. The only times I tip is if the waitress was especially nice to us. My husband on the other hand is far more generous than I and leaves tips almost everywhere he goes. It makes me roll my eyes. And I know that I am not alone. I often see husbands stuff the invoice folders with cash, only to see their wives plucking some out as they leave the resurant.

No comments: